Followers

Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Ideas, Memories and Thoughts - Oh My

Ideas, Memories and Thoughts - Oh My


Ideas, Memories and Thoughts - Oh My

Posted: 04 Mar 2011 11:30 AM PST

**UPDATE** The tool bar along the bottom is full of useful tools you can use to connect with multiple social networks. I invite you to check them out; however, today I want to draw your attention to the You Tube button to the right on the bottom toolbar. Once you click that you can watch interviews with many great authors. The videos across the top of this blog are based on advice for aspiring authors but I thought it would be fun to listen to some of those who are already there.

It seems the spring cleaning bug got to me a little early this year. What do you think of the results? I thoroughly cleaned, dusted and polished the New Author for another year. I'm happy with the results as there are some pretty cool features on here now. Sometimes I wish I could go back to the very first layout of this blog just to see the transformation again; that would be fun. Before I get to that I do want to point out that the Youtube videos will refresh as you refresh the page and there are a lot of really good videos loaded in there.

What brought about this change? I had an idea that change was needed and I wanted the New Author to be brighter, more entertaining, welcoming, and warm. I believe that was lost in translation the last time. It is funny how a blog can take on the mood of the owner but that is a different article entirely. While I was cleaning and polishing I took a trip down memory lane with the past articles I've posted over the years.  As I drifted through some of the more interesting, funny or popular articles I felt both joy and sadness. The joy was simply from the memory itself because the further back I went the more I realized just how much fun this blog has been. From the guest post to those articles that were overshadowed by the comments posted regarding it there have been some good times here. What saddened me was the fact that many of those who left comments then are not around or, should I say; don't comment as they once did. That got me thinking so I ventured over to my blog list and started searching that. I found a handful of blogs that haven't been updated in 4 months to a full year. What's happened? What's changed over the years to bring this about?

I believe many things contribute to the ebb and flow of blogs, social networks and, in general, the Internet. When it comes to blogs, I'm mainly speaking of this one; I believe it is mostly my fault for not updating as often as I once did. I also think the demands of life play a role; things get hectic or life just throw you a curve ball (or many of them). Unfortunately I think many become hardened by the frustrations of the writing business and it is reflected in their blogs and the comments (or lack thereof) on blogs they once frequented. Do we still remember the thrill of a new follower or writing about that great character idea?

Writing, not writing, want to write, in the middle of writing - it really doesn't matter where you are in the scheme of things as long as you are following your passion. If you feel your passion waning or burning out then it is high time to reach out again; get in touch with friends and fellow writers. Post an article about what you are experiencing so others don't feel like they are the only ones. Yes, writing is a solitary passion and craft but the life of a writer doesn't have to be.

I did have one additional idea that I think I will move on. As I said, there are a fair number of past articles here that many of you may not have read. I plan to go through and select a handful to repost in the coming weeks. I think you will find them both entertaining and interesting.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment